GREGORY M. BARRY
1855 Rhode Island Avenue
McLean, Virginia 22101
INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE, New Carrolton, Maryland 2005-2016
Department of the Treasury. Critical Pay Executive.
Director, Compliance and Document Matching, Affordable Care Act PMO 2010-2016
Led an organization to specify and develop systems for the Affordable Care Act. In addition to new development, major changes were required to tax administration systems involving compliance, document matching (identifying non-compliant taxpayers by comparing information reports and tax returns), and industry fees. Responsible executive for four releases involving obtaining pre-refund data from Insurance Exchanges, at-filing reconciliation of the Advanced Premium Tax Credit in 2015, identifying taxpayers who failed to reconcile an Advance Premium Tax Credit, and for identifying Employers in violation of the Employer Shared Responsibility Provision.
Domain Director, Compliance, Applications Development 2006-2010
Led a 500+-IRS employee and 260+ consultant geographically-distributed organization supporting the development and maintenance of major IRS systems. Systems focus on activities involving Filing and Payment Compliance (Collection of amounts owed to the IRS), Reporting Compliance (Examination/Audit of taxpayers), and Enforcement (Criminal Investigation, Refund Fraud and Anti terrorist financing). Responsible for over 120 systems, including many of the most critical online processing systems used by IRS.
Director, Office of Tax Administration Modernization 2005-2006
Responsible for three major Modernization efforts under IRS Business Systems Modernization (BSM): e services, Modernized e-File, and Filing and Payment Compliance/Private Debt Collection. First two systems received Government Computer News (GCN) awards for excellence in 2005. Systems were to support:
• E-services: A major e-government initiative that provided tax preparers (CPA’s, etc.) with a variety of services that helped them represent their clients before the IRS and substantially reduced IRS headcount through Internet-based self-service. E-services was transitioned to O&M in September, 2005 on time and on budget.
• Modernized e-File: XML-based system that allowed corporations and tax-exempt organizations to electronically file annual tax returns through secure Internet interface and receive electronic acknowledgement of receipt and preliminary editing. Implementations ongoing for other types of returns. System was delivered on time and on budget for March 15, 2005 filing peak.
• Private Debt Collection: Implementation of a package-based solution that allowed IRS to place cases at Private Collection Agencies (PCA). System was delivered on time and on cost and is currently in operation.
AMERICAN MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS, INC., Fairfax, Virginia 1978 – 2004
Fairfax-based $1-billion Information Technology and Systems Development firm. Acquired in May 2004 by CGI.
Vice President, General Manager, Commercial Product Engineering 2003-2004
Led 250-person organization focused on AMS’s Commercial Software products, principally in full life cycle of Consumer Credit. Associated revenue from support, license and services in excess of $80M. Major clients included Bank One, Key Bank, Wachovia, Bank of America.
• Achieved 40% cost reduction by instituting first offshore program for new development.
• Brought first AMS offshore facility on line in Poland in 6 months with ISO 9001 approval.
• Reduced staff by 25% and improved customer satisfaction by 25% by consolidating onshore support.
• Personally sold four deals worth >$30M in direct revenue.
• Led CMM Level 2 effort to reduce cost and improve quality.
Vice President, General Manager, Credit Solutions Group 2001-2002
Led 170-person organization focused on AMS’s Products targeted at Retail Credit, covering the complete lifecycle of consumer credit from loan origination and servicing to collections and post-chargeoff recoveries. Revenues in excess of $41M, net margin of 40%. For six months, acting head of AMS’s Financial Services vertical, with Revenues in excess of $150M. Major clients included Washington Mutual, Wachovia, Key Bank, Huntington, Daimler Chrysler Financial, M&T Bank, and M&I Bank.
• Reduced projected bench time by 25% through significant realignment from separate product and services to integrated product and services organization.
• Increased competitive win rate by 50% by retargeting investments in collections product and reorganizing sales force under single sales management leader.
• Substantially reduced expenses associated with support and development to turn around break even product business to significant product margins between maintenance and new license revenue.
Vice President, General Manager, Systems Engineering & Integration 1995-2000
Grew imaging, healthcare, and custom systems Federal and commercial business from $16M to $46M in revenue, staff from 90 to 210 with consistent net margins above 26%. Major clients included IRS, PTO, National Science Foundation, Government of Canada, Battelle Labs, Los Alamos Labs, Citigroup, MBNA, First Union, and Cendant. Projects included:
• Custom timekeeping system for HHS.
• Document imaging capture and workflow for Revenue Departments of Kansas and Virginia.
• Workflow and imaging system for credit card chargebacks at 4 of top 6 issuers.
• Custom front end for incoming customer service calls at MBNA, 2nd largest credit card issuer.
• Built 2 generations of market-leading healthcare imaging products with annual revenue in excess of $15M.
• Consistently #1 or #2 FileNet Global Integrator.
• Built initial version of procurement support software that was used to capture U.S. Defense Department Standard Procurement System (SPS) contract. Implemented at Canada, various labs, and Citibank.
Vice President, General Manager, Systems Engineering Group 1989-1994
Managed up to 90 staff on custom systems development for Federal Civilian clients. Major clients included IRS, National Science Foundation, GSA, HHS, FAA, NARA, and Administrative Office of the Courts. Projects included:
• Custom development of Financial Management System for NSF.
• Development of Planning and Budgeting system for IRS.
• Records Management and Change Management for NARA .
Vice President, General Manager, Technology Solutions Group 1982-1989
Managed staff of 44 performing analytical studies for Federal Civilian clients including GSA, VA, U.S. Courts, State Department, Interior. Projects included:
• Ran procurement for recompete of GSA’s NEAR contract.
• Supported Public Buildings Service modernization efforts including prototype systems, procurement of hardware and software to replace time sharing system.
• Supported State Department Payroll systems.
Principal, Manager, Custom Systems Implementation 1981-1982
Managed group implementing time sharing projects in finance, payroll, and project accounting.
Principal, Manager, Distribution Systems Group 1978-1981
Managed group designing, developing and supporting product for Industrial Distributors.
M.I.T. Sloan School of Management, Cambridge, MA, M.S. in Management.
Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH, B.A., Statistical Geography and Urban Studies with Honors.